Friday, June 17, 2011

Final Entry


Throughout my search for the “perfect classroom management style,” I seem to have gotten stuck on one major aspect of a positive classroom environment: prosocial relationships. I knew that they were important before embarking on this blogging journey, but I never realized how much they actually affect student and classroom outcome.  It makes sense though, the more I think about it. If a student is happy, they will put in some effort in the classroom. I’ve come across many articles that support this and the fact that teachers need to foster these relationships with their students from the beginning of the school year because of the overwhelmingly positive effect they have on the students’ academic achievement throughout the year.  

I know I still have a long way to go until I am a classroom management master, but it truly is the most intriguing part of teaching to me.  I think it’s fascinating that there are so many things, big or small, that a teacher can do to affect the results of their students’ work. Even a small lighting change in a classroom can make the students more alert. These are things I don’t think I ever really considered when I was in school because they are so subtle, as they should be. After I post this entry, and probably forget about this blog entirely, I will continue my research on classroom management. I look forward to implementing these strategies in my future classroom and watching my students grow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Penny,
    I have to agree with you on your post. I think prosocial relationships are extremely important for student success and teacher-student relationship. Also, we share a common interest in classroom management theory and practice. I think 40% of a teacher’s ability to effectively reach a class of students is due to his or her classroom management. Such an important aspect. I will miss your weekly posts about various classroom management theory and such, but wish you luck at becoming a classroom management master.

    ReplyDelete